Taking Aim at Hardlines: B&D Ups the Stakes In the PowerTool Voltage War

Thursday, November 03, 2005

B&D Ups the Stakes In the PowerTool Voltage War

William Bulkeley of the Wall Street Journal reported today that B&D plans to introduce a family of 36-volt power tools under the DeWalt brand. These new lithium-ion batteries can do 2 to 3 times the work of the current 18-volt batteries. This has all been made possible by new technology in rechargeable batteries. The new technology has potential even for powering hybrid cars since the new lithium-ion battery can provide the same power as a nickel-metal-hydride battery at 20% of the weight.

While I hate to see my 12-volt cordless drill relegated to the trash heap of outmoded technology, I can't wait to watch the onslaught of 36-volt tools from the rest of the industry and the subsequent drop in prices that will inevitably follow!

I just hope my old drill holds on long enough so that I can wait till the price is right.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, I am looking forward to reading more.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Bob Cannon said...

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed. If there is anything you would like to see included on this site, please let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines